Sunday, January 30, 2011

Works in progress...

We worked on the cabin again yesterday.

I have to say I'm not feeling as overwhelmed as I did at first. With each accomplishment comes the satisfaction of being one step closer to moving into our new home.

We had a few snafu's thrown into the works this week, with getting a call from the water company on Wednesday saying we had water leaks, and had used 60,000 gallons of water! Marc and I went out and found two broken pipes. The carpets were wet so we had to rent an extractor, and fan for a day to get the water up.

Then on Thursday when I checked my bank account, I found that someone had charged my paypal account $500.00!!! I about had a coronary. The bank not only helped clear this up, but gave us a credit to cover the monies until paypal comes through and corrects the charge. I'll be happy when that's all cleared up.

Marc laid the carpets in the bedroom, and put the baseboards on. They turned out pretty great. I painted the ceiling in the kitchen. It went from yellowish to white! Looks so much better. Also, I began cleaning the appliances, and floors underneath them, and found things like eggshells, boxes from prepared foods, straw, and filth. It was disgusting! Oh... and the burner guards on the stove were cast iron, but had gummed on foods and burnt on spots, so we left those soaking overnight and will have to scrape the yuck off. Underneath their beautiful.

Today, we go look at a early 1900's stove that we can put to use in the kitchen for usable space, and conversation. It's pretty neat looking and a bargain at only $20. I can store pots and pans in it, and put usable things on top.

Also, we plan to lay the carpet in the living room today, and that will make such a huge difference in the way everything looks. Then we can begin moving things and setting up.

I'm very excited to get resettled in our new home. I think it'll turn out pretty neat, and it's ours! YAY!

I'll post some more pictures soon!!

Hugs!!

2 comments:

  1. Suzi what a beautiful page and a wonderful way to share your experience with all of us!!! Good luck today with the carpet!!! I'll call you as soon as i get a chance today! Enjoy!!
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds exciting Suzi! I can't wait to see your stove. I'd love to find one like that and if you get it for $20 then HOLY COW!!!!!!! Amazing! Wayyyy back when- a zillion years ago- we helped someone re-do some cast iron stuff and we took a few pieces down to a guy who had a sand blaster and we blasted the gunk off of it. Then had it powder-coated. It looked great. Just remember that the old stoves have asbestos in them if they haven't been brought up to current standards. I'd love to see pictures of your cabin too. I'm excited for you!
    Jules

    ReplyDelete